Wandering Europe!
Here we go now

In May 2011 I set off on a 7 month journey. With nothing but a backpack on my back, my best friend by my side and a return ticket to EUROPE... Needless to say it was by far the most amazing 7 months of my absolute life!!! Somehow I was motivated enough (and stupid enough) to keep a travel blog going through the whole adventure, and so now, with technology being as fabulous as it is, our story is now roughly preserved on this silly blog.


.
Monday, May 23, 2011
@ 7:23 PM


Nananananana QUAD BIKES!!!!!
Need I say more?

Ok I will. So, Sarah checking in here about our awesome day of Quad Biking around Santorini Island. We got up earlier than usual today(8am) so that we could get the most out of our quad bikes that we hired. Now if you've never driven a quad bike before...DO IT! Because it is awesome fun and was definitely a great way to see the Island. Plus you get to look hard core with your super cool helmet ;) Our day included discovering mountain tops(some even with light houses), secret beaches with a single bar that we had all to ourselves(while enjoying frappes), rocky canyon walls that fell apart when you touched them and trying REALLY hard to remember to drive on the right(literally right) side of the road. I think we did pretty well for two Aussie girls who are still on their red 'P's back home.
Heidi: Okay, easy for Sarah to say, SHE WAS A HARD-CORE bikey (whilst i trailed behind, failling to keep up and preying to stay alive.)
Sarah: It was all totally worth it even if just for the views- BREATH TAKING!! It is not at all what you expect for a Greek Island but I think that is what makes it even more special. We did have one minor incident...

Heidi: SO after our first stop, I took the lead for the first time. Bad Idea. (Mum, stop reading now.) I felt like God speeding down that mountain, smiling like a three year old, not caring about the bugs in my mouth. Taking in the view, and just thinking 'THIS IS LIFE.' Then I saw a man riding a donkey... And then CRASH. BANG. SMASH. 'OUCH.'


Sarah: "HEIDIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!" was what I screamed as I watched my friend drive into a ditch and hit the cliff face and bounce back like toy car. As I pulled over and tried to get off my bike(ungracefully mind you in my haste) I was relieved beyond words to see that she was in one peice and laughing(I think it was the shock). What a lucky girl! (Neither Heidi nor any quad bikes were harmed during the incident, except for her arm-she says she'll live)


Heidi: I was lucky because my bike had swerved left into a cliff face. If it had swerved right I would've fallen off the mountain itself... I went through a few stages of shock. Getting back on the road was hard and trusting my silly bike was harder (I SWEAR IT JUST CHANGED DIRECTIONS LAST TIME, it had nothing to do with my  lack of concentration span.) Thank god for Sarah though, she's my angel, fixed me up with water and chocolate biscuits and a motherly hug. My driving got slower and safer as the day wore on and my heart still quite hasn't recovered. I wouldn't take back the incident, even though my arm is throbbing- as it still makes us laugh and will be a great story to tell the kids.

Sarah: So now we are taking a short break before heading back out to go to Oia to watch the famous Santorini sunset. I'm sure a photo of it will make it on here so that you can enjoy it too. Oh and enjoy the photos...
 
Over and Out,
Sarah and Heidi the bad asses!

*Hours Pass*

Heidi: I CAN'T BELIEVE WE ARE STILL ALIVE. Picture this. Two girls. On quad bikes. On a mountain. With a hoard of cars/motorbikes/buses overtaking them. Windey, windey Roads. Going uphill. Going downhill. Oh yeah, forgot to mention. IN THE PITCH DARK!!!! Okay, i struggled to ride in daylight. Night time was.... Horrific. I kept forgetting to breath and then ended up choking for air. But it was so worth is- The Oia sunset was gorgeous as we watched sitting on a wall with our legs dangling down (We keep over-using the word 'breath-taking' but there's no other way to describe moments like these.)

“Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away”

Today has been amazing.